Lawn care businesses sell themselves because homeowners strive for lush, green lawns. It’s not enough to have a better spray rig than your competitor. A lawn care company’s success depends on many variables; every business in your category can make grass green and weed-free. Why should prospective customers trust you with their lawn care? If you’re ready to stand out, here are a few practical tips to make your business shine in 2017.
- Examine your services. Take a moment to review the services offered to current customers. Should you encourage customers to move to a different treatment plan? Have you received requests for services you don’t offer like insect control or tree and shrub care? Research those requests, find out how to implement those programs and market these new offerings to customers.
- Be prepared. Being prepared for the job is important. Adding a service like mosquito control may require additional equipment. Ensure the business has enough equipment to handle the new offerings and the regular scheduled services. Also, keep your spray rigs in optimal condition by following the maintenance guidelines.
- Provide excellent customer service. It’s one thing to offer stellar lawn maintenance services and additional production options at each appointment. It’s another thing to have surly, unmotivated employees coming into contact with your clients. People are an essential ingredient to any successful business. What can you do to ensure your service is delivered promptly by a friendly, knowledgeable technician?
- Open the lines of communication. Does your website have a link where customers can pay their bills? Do you send bills electronically? Some clients like to receive paper bills in the mail. Research shows customers appreciate the option of electronic billing and mobile payments. And a contact us page makes it easy for clients to reach you with questions or obtain information.
- Go where your customers go. Businesses are using social networks like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest to reach customers. Facebook is a good place to start for businesses new to social media. The platform offers inexpensive advertising targeted towards your ideal client.
- Leverage customer relationships. The most efficient way to grow a business is through word of mouth. Ask customers to refer a friend, follow your company on Twitter and Facebook and write testimonials. Motivate clients to give positive reviews by offering a discount on their services.
- Follow up on every lead. Don’t sit on a lead for more than a couple of hours. A customer looking for lawn care services expects an immediate response. Dedicate time each day to follow up on leads. Better yet, educate staff members on the importance of following up on leads throughout the day.
There’s no magic recipe for instant results, and nothing is guaranteed business. Always think ahead and plan your next steps as your business evolves.